Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Positive power

Today was my flight home from visiting extended family in Iowa. Well, it was supposed to be my flight home. The weather all across the Midwest is horrible, and my flight into Chicago was delayed. Not delayed in the kind of way where they tell you before you get on the plane. No, the kind of delayed that would normally send me spiraling into anxious rants and raves.

I flew here with my 18 month old last week, meeting up with my older girls and parents who took the train from upstate NY. So, today, we all split up again to head back home. I had chosen an airport an hour and a half away to save a couple hundred on flight costs, so we loaded up in my aunt's car at 7:30am and drove into Illinois. Everything was on time, so my aunt got me as far as the security checkpoint and we said goodbye.

I timed everything perfectly. We boarded last so we had time to let my toddler burn off some energy. We slid into our seats, got out the blanket, snack, drink, Elmo doll, and book. We tucked everything else away. The kind but obviously not wanting to sit next to a mom and toddler business man moved seats so I could have the row to myself. The flight attendant secured the cabin and we prepared to push back from the gate. And nothing happened. Then, the announcement came. We were going nowhere. Flights were cancelled and connections would be missed. We had to pack up our stuff and de-plane.

Surprisingly, though, everyone on the flight seemed to take it well. There were smiles and many, many offers to help me get my little one back into the airport. She giggled and waved at everyone and amused them by going through her vocabulary of animal sounds. So, I thought, what a perfect opportunity for me to practice turning things around.

Normally, this is where I melt down. I get crabby. I blame everyone else for my difficulties and then wallow in self-pity. So, instead, I focused on the positive.

Long line at ticket counter? More time to find a place to sit with Sophie and linger over our coffee and milk.

An hour to kill while waiting for reservations to find another flight? Time to let her run wild in the semi-empty end of the terminal.

And when my option meant calling my family to come back to get me? No flights until tomorrow? One more day to spend with my toddler and one more chance to see family I see so infrequently.

My new flight is at another airport? It's closer! And the only seats left are premium? Ok by me!

Of course, I now have a toddler, and extra night stay with my luggage already on a plane. Problem? Not when there is a place nearby to buy a new outfit and a pack of diapers! An excuse to go shopping!

The best part, though, is that my family was excited to see me again. Everyone showed back up to have dinner together. Sophie got to play with her 2 year old cousin for one more night. I have one more day to spend focusing on my baby who is growing up too fast.

I am sad not to be with my husband tonight. I am frustrated that I'm missing another day of work. But, I turned the situation around and made today another day to smile. Another day to laugh. Another day to focus on being a happier me!

No comments:

Post a Comment