Tuesday, August 28, 2012

We're going on a trip...

Yesterday was the big day.  We finally pulled out of our driveway for the big family vacation everyone had been waiting for.  Of course, this started with a full day of packing and preparations.  I am a control freak.  And I know it.  That doesn't stop me from making sure I keep that title, though, and this time was no different.  To pack for myself and 3 girls (one of whom is 10 months old and wears cloth diapers) took a straight 8 hours.  I will admit that I was also trying to do laundry, pack and freeze the weekend harvest, and straighten up the house so we could come home and relax. 

That made me think about all the values I have placed on myself and my family and what is important to continue even during a trip away from home.  With everything I do, I try to keep in the back of my mind that sometimes sticking to the plan 100% isn't necessary.  There are times that treats are in order and the clutter on the counter is less important than spending time with family.  But, other things I don't think should be compromised. 

Take the garden as a prime example.  I have 2 large gardens in my yard.  I grow as much of the veggies our family eats as possible.  We also belong to a CSA, but I'll blog about that when I'm not on vacation.  A good portion of our garden is eaten as it is picked, but some of it is preserved for future use during the colder months.  So, what to do when I'm leaving my garden just as my harvest is ripening?  I tried to keep up with it as well as I could, preserving as I went along.  My freezer is filling up with bags of chopped and blanched veggies, but I still can't stand to see anything go to waste.  So, I spent part of packing day picking, boiling, and freezing.  But, I took shortcuts on the prep end, labeling those bags to remember they will need the prep when I pull them out of the freezer later.  And some of our haul is being passed out to my parents and friends.  I dropped off a few bags of veggies, and left some on the counter for consumption by other who are helping us while we are gone.

So, what about our food while we are gone?  What do we eat?  My husband and I have initiated a 24 day challenge this month that is being put on hold until we get back home.  Sometimes, it's just not worth it to stick to a strict diet for every meal.  Especially when we drive right past a Sonic (one of our favorite and missed drive ins we frequented when we lived in the midwest).  Who can pass up tater tots and cherry limeaids?  Not us!  But, this morning, I ate a bowl of oatmeal and an apple, skipping over the processed waffle mix and fake packaged syrup.  That, to me, is not a treat.  We brought healthy snacks that we can eat when we are faced with no "treat worthy" options.  Other times, we will splurge on our favorite and now infrequent treats. 

The matter of the baby's diapers also ha to be considered.  I chose to use cloth on our precious little one's bum.  This was partly for the cost savings (at least until I became wild about the cute prints and styles!), partly for environmental reasons, and partly for the health of the baby.  Chemical free when possible is always best.  So, for this one, I had to poll my other CD friends.  My final decision?  I washed and packed all the diapers and brought a big giant wet bag crammed full of them, along with a pack of detergent for a mid-week wash.  But, I bought a pack of biodegradable liners for use when we are out and about.  I can use our covers and keep the poop from having to be lugged around all day.  Compromise.  And Sophie is just as happy as always. 

I could blog all day about all the decisions regarding the changes we made in our everyday routine to take a vacation, but as we speak, my family is ready to head out the door.  And they don't think my blog is the best thing for me to focus on right now.  So, it's off to the destination for the day...stay tuned for more from the vacationing family on the go!

No comments:

Post a Comment