Friday, January 11, 2013

The Incredible Shrinking Katie

The Incredible Shrinking Katie
I always wanted to start a fitness blog and give it the above title. But, the truth of the matter is, I do not think any blog I am prepared to write now would be incredible. Nor am I shrinking in any sense of the word. I’ve always fought to keep my weight down. I would never call myself terribly overweight, and I have a fairly good body image in spite of the extra pounds. However, I’m feeling rather uncomfortable in my own skin. I can’t do as much as I once could without effort, and I find that I constantly feel tired and run down. So, it’s time to put a plan in action.
Can I do it? I used to be a weightlifter. I could out-lift many of the men in my gym. I worked hard at it. I went to the gym regularly; no matter what time I got out of work. I would go at 4am if I had to, and I would go at 10:00 at night. Of course, I wasn’t waking up with a toddler every night or wrestling 2 young girls in and out of bed. I’m tired. And most gyms charge an arm and a leg for childcare. So, that leaves…when? Lunch break? Midnight? Ugh.
I was also a student of Ashtanga Yoga for several years. I had a private instructor and I could twist myself up into a nice tiny pretzel. Now, I’m lucky if I can bend over and reach my feet. What happened to my flexibility? Can I get that back, too?
I suppose what I looked for in my 20s is not what I’m looking for in my (upper) 30s. I really don’t care how thin I am. I have no problem telling people how much I weigh (179.6 this morning). I will be happy to model a swimsuit for you. I am what I am and I’m not ashamed.
But, I would like to be a model of health for my children. It used to be something I was proud of. I worked for what I had and I liked to help others work for their goals. So, here’s my plan:
I plan to turn into The Incredible Strengthening Katie. Forget the shrinking. Forget the number on the scale. I’m going to (God willing) find time to go to the gym. I’m going to lift some weights. I’m going to get stronger, healthier, and fit. I’m going to show my children that I care about how I treat my body. Then, I’m going to go home and stretch those strong muscles. I’m going to practice my sun salutations and work my way toward reaching the bottom of my feet again during a forward bend. I’m going to buy an extra yoga mat and practice WITH my children. We are going to share in the joy of a healthy body and mind together. And we are going to show ourselves just how strong we can be. Om.


No comments:

Post a Comment